Welcome to 3N Diagnostics
3N Diagnostics is dedicated to personalising cancer diagnostics and therapy.
3N Diagnostics - Who are we?
At 3N Diagnostics, we are dedicated to making a real difference in personalizing cancer diagnostics and therapy. We have developed a medical diagnostic technology that will help pathologists in identifying previously unidentifiable aggressive cancers, and oncologists in being more exact in their therapeutic plans and recommendations. This technology will help anyone who is affected by basal-like breast cancer (BLBC) by helping them to live a longer, more fulfilling life.
What is basal-like breast cancer?
NO DIAGNOSTIC ASSAYS FOR BASAL-LIKE BREAST CANCER EXIST ON THE MARKET TODAY
Basal-like breast cancer (BLBC) is an aggressive type of breast cancer that is extremely difficult to identify at the time of initial diagnosis. It can only be diagnosed two-five years after initial diagnosis: a time when patients are presented with symptoms worse than before. Sadly, effective therapy has already been compromised by this point
- Blows FM, Driver KE, Schmidt MK, et al. Subtyping of breast cancer by immunohistochemistry to investigate a relationship between subtype and short and long term survival: a collaborative analysis of data for 10,159 cases from 12 studies. PLoS Med. 2010;7:e1000279. - Laakso M, Tanner M, Nilsson J, et al. Basoluminal carcinoma: a new biologically and prognostically distinct entity between basal and luminal breast cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2006;12:4185.
BLBC lacks the biomarkers capable of guiding diagnosis, prognosis and therapy. The three major biomarkers used in breast cancer treatment (Estrogen Receptor (ER), Progesterone Receptor (PR) and Human Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor (HER2)) are ineffective when it comes to BLBC. Furthermore, 20-30% of BLBC tumors exhibit ER and/or HER2 biomarkers, which can lead to misdiagnosis.
Often unresponsive to traditional therapies such as anti-hormone treatment (tamoxifen and aromatase inhibitors for ER/PR+) or trastuzumab and lapatinib for HER2+, BLBC patients are often poorly diagnosed at onset and are treated with ineffective therapies.
What is FOXC1 ?
FOXC1 is a gene which identifies BLBC with high precision and accuracy. Using the FOXC1 test, breast cancer patients with the more aggressive BLBC can be identified, which can result in obtaining therapy personalised to the individual. The FOXC1 test has been developed based on studies of more than 6,000 breast cancer patients.
THE FOXC1 TEST IS A ROBUST, VERSATILE AND SIMPLE TEST, DEVELOPED BY 3N DIAGNOSTICS THAT HELPS:
• Identify patients with BLBC 
• Predict the probability of developing metastasis; when; and to which organ [3-5]
• Predict the probability of disease-free survival after diagnosis
2. Jensen TW, Ray T, Wang J, et al. Diagnosis of Basal-Like Breast Cancer Using a FOXC1-Based Assay. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2015 Jun 3;107(8). 3. Ray PS, Wang J, Qu Y, et al. FOXC1 is a potential prognostic biomarker with functional significance in basal-like breast cancer. Cancer Res. 2010,70:3870. Epub 2010 Apr 20. 4. Ray PS, Bagaria SP, Wang J, et al. Basal-like breast cancer defined by FOXC1 expression offers superior prognostic value: a retrospective immunohistochemical study. Ann Surg Oncol. 2011,18:3839-47. Epub 2011 Mar 18. 5. Wang J, Ray PS, et al. FOXC1 regulates the functions of human basal-like breast cancer cells by activating NF-κB signaling. Oncogene. 2012, 31:4798, doi:10.1038/onc.2011.635, Epub 2012 Jan 16.
3N Diagnostics has licenced relevant patents about the diagnostic use of FOXC1, with patents having been awarded in the US (No. 9.074.253) and Europe (No. 2.486.149).
Who will the FOXC1 test be of interest and benefit to?
Pathologists will now be able to diagnose BLBC by studying tissue samples, ranging from tiny biopsies to the removal of organs during operation.
Specialising in the treatment of cancer patients, oncologists will be able to manage care and treatment of an individual.
Those who are currently afflicted by breast cancer, as well as those who are in remission, will have an interest in the FOXC1 test as it affects them directly.
Family, friends and 3rd party organisations.
Meet the 3N Diagnostics Team
3N Diagnostics is a group of people who are using the power of medical innovation to improve diagnostics and prognostics in cancer care. 3N Diagnostics is the UK affiliate of the US company Onconostic Technologies.
Dr Roberto Fagnani
CEO, CHAIRMAN OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS
• US/EU Venture Funds • Cancer research positions at Hybritech and Eli Lilly & Co. • Cancer research positions at US National Cancer Institute and at the University of California • PhD, Pharmacology: University of Milan, Italy
Dr Partha S. Ray
FOUNDER, BOARD OF DIRECTORS, CHAIR OF SCIENTIFIC ADVISORY BOARD
• Assistant Professor of Surgery, University of Illinois College of Medicine, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois • MD: MCP Hahnemann University College of Medicine
Dr Gerard Burke
• Managing Director, Synergy Flow Ltd. • Managing Director, Biocept Laboratories Europe Ltd. • Plant Manager, Boston Scientific, Letterkenny • Manager, International Regulatory Affairs, IVT Europe Ltd. • BSc, Microbiology: Queen’s University Belfast